Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Unbridled Tongue

"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels." John Calvin

It is unfortunate that we are not as troubled by our own loose words as we are by loose bowels! What about chronic looseness of words!?
I am troubled by my own lack of control over my tongue sometimes. A curt, sharp response, sarcasm, a tone that conveys annoyance and impatience, idle talk about someones unfortunate circumstances or latest predicament. The list goes on and on. I recently read something that stung me a bit...what about when we gossip with the pretense of a "prayer request?" Ouch. (IE. Did you hear about so-and-so....yep, she did do that...and her husband, well he just.... yes, her children aren't even....we do need to pray for them.) What was the purpose? To genuinely request prayer or to tell the story? God knows the motive of our hearts, even when we may not completely realize our own intentions (The heart is more deceitful than anything else
and desperately sick—who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9)

God, help me to seek to seek to encourage, build up, love, and respect with every word I say. Guard my tongue!

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing.

Proverbs 20:19 A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much.

Matthew 12:36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of
judgment for every careless word they have spoken.

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only
what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it
may benefit those who listen.

James 3

No comments:

Post a Comment